25 years of connecting people and spaces.
Today, Taylor celebrates 25 years of connecting people with spaces, 25 years of building meaningful relationships – with our people, clients and business partners – and 25 years of recognition as a trusted advisor and delivery partner of choice.
Twenty-five years ago, in 1994, the world was a very different place. Facebook and Instagram didn’t exist, and Amazon had only just been founded. It was an era where VHS video tapes were overdue from the local video shop and communication was through fax machines or telephones with cords, and you relied on the Yellow Pages to find people. There was talk about email and the internet, but no one knew what it really meant and sending a fax was a safer option.
It was undoubtedly a period of significant and memorable change, and it was during this time that Taylor was born.
From the humble beginnings of a converted lounge room office in Sydney’s northern suburbs, a 23-year-old had a vision to build a company that was focused on building relationships and assisting clients beyond the bricks and mortar by understanding their objectives to deliver the spaces they required.
Whilst in his third year of university, Mark Taylor launched Taylor Construction and quickly established the company’s first client relationship with the $5.8m Christian City Church in Oxford Falls. This opportunity provided a pipeline of work for the first few years and the ability to secure new business. That first year also saw Mark welcome the company’s first employee.
There were many milestones along the way including the first major project win in 2005 – the $25 million St Basils Aged Care Facility at Miranda – to the first tower crane at Atlas, Norwest in 2010. This project was a major turning point for the business and opened the door to other commercial opportunities such as the $55m integrated fitout and commercial building for Canon’s new headquarters in Macquarie Park and the $164m Connect Corporate Centre at Mascot.
The business enjoyed steady growth and Norwest Business Park was home for many years, before eventually packing up and moving to a larger home in North Sydney. This relocation was a real ‘coming of age’ transformation for the business with prominent signage in the North Sydney skyline. It was during this time that the business also expanded its services into Fitout & Refurbishment and Property Development.
Fast forward to 6th December 2019, exactly 25 years to the day Taylor’s story began, and it gives us great pride to reflect on all that the business has achieved and the quarter century of hard work and dedication that has gone into making Taylor what it is today.
Taylor is the proud employer of over 250 staff members and boasts a significant project portfolio that has connected:
- The elderly to leading Residential Aged Care Facilities, providing new homes with access to first-class care and community. We are proud of our achievements in this sector having won two National MBA Awards for HammondCare, Miranda and Cardinal Freeman Village, Ashfield. More recently, Taylor has been in the final stages of delivering a ‘first of its kind’ Aged Care facility for the homeless in Darlinghurst.
- Businesses to new commercial workplaces across Sydney, having recently completed the ($164m) Connect Corporate Centre, a three-stage development including three purpose-built office buildings, a Pullman Hotel and a retail precinct, over three years.
- The people (and animals) of Sydney to landmark facilities such as The Taronga Institute of Science and Learning, The Wildlife Retreat at Taronga, North Bondi SLSC, Sydney Opera House and the renovation of the BMW at Rushcutters Bay, Australia’s largest flagship dealership.
- Residents to their homes, having delivered over 1,500 apartments across 11 projects. One of our proudest achievements has been receiving multiple awards during our five-year journey at the $254m Putney Hill Precinct for Frasers Property Australia and the 39-storey Boomerang Tower at Sydney Olympic Park which is on the cusp of completion.
- Manufacturers, importers, exporters and transport businesses to high quality Industrial buildings and warehouses such as the award-winning $26m Lion Milk Distribution Facility in addition to the $28m Australia Post Facility at Chullora and $45m Coopers Paddock Industrial Development for Stockland.
- Children to state-of-the-art educational facilities such as two recent award-winning projects; Lindfield Learning Village, built and refurbished for the NSW Department of Education and Knox Performing Arts Centre at Wahroonga.
For 25 years we’ve been building the Taylor “family” and our growth and development as a company has also seen us recognised by our people as an employer of choice in the construction industry. It is important to acknowledge that the support and dedication shown to the business by our staff has been an integral part of making Taylor what it is today.
Together, we’d like to celebrate our 25 years of building meaningful relationships – with you, our valued clients and business partners. It goes without saying that it has been a pleasure working with you throughout our history, and we hope to continue these relationships for many years to come. It’s exciting to look ahead at what the next 25 years might hold.