In recognition of R U OK? Day on 14 September 2023, the Taylor team came together for a reminiscent morning tea. R U OK? Day is an opportunity to come together and raise awareness of the importance of mental health.
Connecting over our favourite childhood snacks, we checked-in with each other and reminded ourselves to look out for our colleagues. Staff at Head Office and project sites shared food and memories while asking R U OK?, with an aim to foster a safe and supportive environment where everyone feels comfortable to ask for help. By starting a dialogue about mental health, we can reduce the stigma associated with seeking help.
R U OK? Day is reminder that any day is the day to ask “are you okay?”. At Taylor, we believe mental wellbeing is just as important as physical health and safety. Everyday, our team is encouraged to reach out and offer a helping hand to others. This can be done by following the simple actions below.
– Say hello. Check in: ask “how is your day going?”
– Listen: Pay attention to what they say. Eye contact is important for respectful communication.
– If they are dealing with a challenge or going through a difficult time, ask how you can support them.
– If you can, offer your time to help. If not, offering moral support is sometimes enough. Otherwise, encourage them to see a professional.
– Be honest and kind. Honesty helps ensure that the advice you give is helpful.
– Collaborate. Try to find a solution together.
– Stay in touch and check-in regularly with the person.